Skincare is one of those elusive practices that most people invest thousands of dollars into. Millions of well-marketed bottles of chemicals and serums pack the shelves, but it’s hard to understand what most of them do to help us.
Some stand out with true potential benefits, though. We’re going to take a look at one of those options today, exploring the value of CBD Skin Care products. We’ll examine some fundamentals of skincare, followed by a look at why CBD might be the next addition to your routine.
Let’s get started.
Essentials of Healthy Skin
No product will work to benefit your skin if you don’t have a good routine in place.
The first thing to do is ensure that you’re drinking the appropriate amount of water. This keeps skin hydrated and sets the base for your general health. Most areas of health are positively impacted by drinking enough water.
Everyone needs different amounts of water based on their size, so make sure you know what you need, specifically. Next, ensure that you’re using sunscreen every single day no matter the weather.
Note that most of your exposure to the sun comes from daily activities like running errands or walking from place to place. It’s not just the trips to the beach.
Using a daily cleanser of some kind helps to prevent dirt from building up in the pores. Regular cleansing, moisturizing, and sun protecting are the best places to start.
Benefits of CBD Skin Care
CBD is a cannabinoid that operates on the endocannabinoid system. This is a system in the body that works to maintain equilibrium in a number of areas. Hunger, pain, sleep, immune response, and stress responses are just a few of the areas that are dependent on this system.
CBD enters the system and starts to have a subduing effect. For example, CBD might help to reduce anxiety by subduing stress response. Similarly, it can help in the areas of acne, inflammation, and other skin issues that come from inflammation.
Skin issues, like psoriasis, rosacea, or eczema, come from inflammatory or immune responses to particular stimuli. CBD might help to keep these issues at bay, or at the very least, reduce the symptoms.
CBD skin care and beauty products have plenty of benefits for all kinds of skin types. Sensitive skin will enjoy the soothing and calming effects that it receives, almost immediately from application. Acne prone skin benefits from CBD’s sebum-reducing abilities and anti-inflammatory properties. Dry skin will appreciate the rich fatty acids that make CBD an excellent natural moisturizer. Those who want to prevent wrinkles on their skin will particularly benefit from its powerful antioxidants and ‘anti-aging’ capabilities. When used in unison, CBD and hyaluronic acid have a holistic effect on the skin. CBD helps take care of things like rashes, dark spots, and acne while the acid looks after texture and hydration. Both tackle wrinkles and fine lines, and together they can help one restore to their beautiful, youthful skin.
How to Incorporate CBD for Skin
The wonderful thing about CBD in skin care is that it tends to come in a rub or topical form. You can add CBD lotion or CBD oil to your skincare regimen by just using it when you would use other products.
Keep it next to your cleanser and you’ll never forget to use it. Apply it when you feel you might be getting dry or irritated skin and see what it does for you.
Most Dermatologists recommend Skin Care Regimens in this order
- Toner (optional, not essential) or chemical exfoliation (1-3 times per week)
- Serum (optional, not essential)
- Eye cream (optional, not essential)
- Retinol (once per week)
- Oil (optional for very dry skin)
- Sunscreen (during day time)
The general rule of thumb, as far as skincare steps go: the thicker the product, the later it should come in your regimen.
Also just use your fingers to apply, otherwise the product will be absorbed onto the material (such as a cotton ball or cloth). Add a few drops to your palms, dot it onto five areas of your face (forehead, each cheek, nose, and chin), and then pat or press it into your skin. Don’t rub your palms together before applying it to your face, either, or the product will be absorbed onto your hands.
Research shows that the reasoning for oil after moisturizer vs before is because oil acts as a ‘protective’ barrier. The oil acts as a seal to lock in all of the moisture and hydration preventing transepidermal water loss. If oil is added before moisturizer, the moisture will not be able to penetrate the seal and go into the skin’s layers. Having the oil on top of moisturizer will seal in the nutritional and beneficial ingredients of products all while creating a blockade against the environmental dangers. This is just a suggestion on how to enhance the features of CBD products and allow for each treatment to stand out.
Day & Night
- Cleanse the face & pat dry
- Apply a toner most days of the week & a chemical exfoliant the other days – A toner is not essential but it helps prep the skin for the following steps while helping the skin absorb serums and moisturizers more effectively. If you choose to not purchase a toner, do invest in a chemical exfoliant as this creates baby smooth skin and helps with aging and acne. Make sure to start slowly applying once a week and building up to a few times a week. Do not use physical exfoliants (like scrubs) as they cause microtears in the skin and promote inflammation.
- Apply serum – Serums are highly concentrated with the greatest amount of active ingredients since they’re made up of small molecules which allows them to penetrate deeply into the pores for increased efficacy. They are considered the most potent product in the skin care products and should be applied after cleansing and toning the face.
- Apply eye cream (not essential) – Unless an eye cream has active ingredients like retinol, peptides, or SPF, it won’t do much. Facial moisturizers can do the job just as well!
- Anti-aging, day, or night cream (moisturizer) – For extra powerful improvements, use a retinol which helps with cell turnover and is the only proven ingredient to reverse aging and prevent it as well. ReThink has a great cream with retinol in it. Make sure to use SPF every day when using retinol.
- Face Oil – Use as the final step to create a seal and protective barrier. Plus, it gives a nice glow!
- SPF – SPF is the only proven ingredient (other than retinol) to protect the skin and prevent premature aging and hyperpigmentation. Use it daily without fail and no matter the weather. This will give you the best results.
Interested in More CBD Skin Care Ideas?
Using CBD Skin Care products won’t always help everyone. That said, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence out there that it helps people experiencing different issues. So, the only thing you can do is give it a shot and see if it improves your skin.
CBD can do a lot more than help one’s skin. We’re here to help you get all of the information you need. Explore our site to find CBD oil for skin, other CBD products, and a whole lot more information.