Rice pudding, the creamy homemade dessert, also known as arroz con leche, is that delicious dish that delighted us as children. It is simple but not so easy to make. The reason for that is that certain aspects are disregarded when preparing it, or the ingredients are not correctly chosen.
Keeping in mind these aspects we are going to describe guarantees that your rice will be smooth and creamy.
In this regard, we have reviewed the opinions of experts and connoisseurs of the subject and we have discovered the details that should be considered when cooking the rice pudding and we want to share them with you.
In this sense, we offer you today some tips to prepare your rice pudding properly. Also, we will provide an easy-to-prepare recipe for you to try at home.
Things to Keep in Mind
There are several aspects for you to consider when preparing this appetizing dessert, so you will satisfactorily get a delightful dish. Some of these aspects are:
1. Choosing the Right Rice
Traditionally, round rice is preferred by rice lovers because it is very suitable for desserts where its high starch content serves as a natural thickener. Therefore, it is not rinsed before use. It is not scalded in boiling water either.
2. Choosing the Right Milk
For a more gourmet recipe, whole milk is recommended. But if you really want to find the traditional taste, use raw milk. The results will be incredible. And for more creative recipes, don’t hesitate to use vegetable “milk” such as rice, almond, and coconut, among others.
3. Not Paying Attention to the Residual Heat
It is advisable to let the rice pudding cool down since it will continue to cook once the cooking is finished due to the residual heat it accumulates.
4. The Right Proportions
It depends a little on your taste, and also on the rice used, but for a really soft result, most experienced cooks recommend using between 100 g and 150 g of rice for 1 liter of milk.
5. Forgetting to Stir While Cooking
Rice pudding needs dedication, and not being attentive to stir the preparation while it is cooking every 4 or 5 minutes will cause it to stick to the pot and you will not obtain the ideal creamy and smooth texture.
What About the Caramel?
If you want to serve the rice pudding with caramel, pour the sugar into a clean pan. Then, no question of stirring the caramel with a spoon, or anything else for that matter. If necessary, shake the pan a little to distribute the heat well. When it is the desired color, plunge the pan into a cold water bath to stop the boiling.
For more details as to properly cook rice pudding check this link https://mahatmarice.com/recipes/arroz-con-leche/ in which important directions are given for the right preparation of this recipe. Also, you will find other useful information and some other recipes for you to prepare.
A Simple Recipe
This recipe for arroz con leche is one of the easiest and cheapest desserts in the world. A perfect traditional food that we take for granted every time we taste it.
Here are the instructions for you to make it at home. When we think of a rice pudding recipe, the first thing we think of is to achieve that, besides the flavor, it has a creamy consistency, that it is neither too liquid nor too thick. Follow the instructions carefully to get a finger-licking rice pudding:
- Place the rice in a pot together with the liter of milk. Use so much milk to make the rice creamy.
- Then cut a few pieces of lemon peel, well washed, and add it to the pot.
- Add a sprig of cinnamon for flavoring during the cooking of the rice.
- Let this mixture stand for 30 to 60 minutes before putting it on the fire to aromatize and soak the rice well with the flavors of cinnamon and lemon.
- Next, put the pot on the fire with all the ingredients.
- Cover until it is close to boiling.
- Uncover and begin to stir carefully.
- Taste the rice and add the sugar and feel that it is al dente.
- Continue stirring the rice until the milk begins to evaporate and the sugar begins to thicken the mixture.
- When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat.
- Remove the pieces of cinnamon and lemon peel.
- Let it rest for a few minutes in the pot while you beat it a little more intensely so that the remaining liquid evaporates and it becomes even creamier.
- Put it in the refrigerator for 20 or 30 minutes and it’s ready! Just serve it!
It is recommended to add a little cinnamon powder on top to give it the magic touch.