Today we will talk about setting a relationship vision and why I believe it is so incredibly important. We might have different visions related to our careers, related to family, to finances, and one area that I really like to pay attention to is my relationship vision.
So what is a relationship vision? Very simply put, a relationship vision is a common vision that both you and your partner hold that brings more purpose, direction, and intentionality to your union.
The way I like to think of it is the bigger “why” of the relationship. Why are you in this relationship together? What is it that you’re co-creating? What are your values? What type of relationship do you want to create? How do you want it to look like in the day-to-day? And really becoming more and more intentional about that.
Why Is It Important?
So many of us go into relationships without really asking ourselves why are we in this relationship. And then when challenges come up when there are difficulties or disagreements, it can create a lot of tension and can even lead us to break up or divorce because there’s not that clarity as to why are we doing this. What is this bigger vision that’s holding us together, even when things aren’t running smoothly or even when difficulties are coming up?
The reason that I find this so incredibly important is that just like anything else in our life, when we bring more awareness and consciousness into our relationships, they deepen and they become more profound. And especially in relationships, we are bound to come across challenges or disagreements. I found that many people kind of get into relationships without ever really asking themselves why are in this relationship. What is the bigger “why” that brings us together? What are we co-creating as a union?
And when we do bring intentionality into that and actually take the time to speak about this relationship vision with our partner, it’s a great anchor that can guide us. Kind of an anchor and a compass that can guide us through difficult times. So when disagreements come up, when challenges come up, there’s this common vision that you’re both working towards. I find it really helpful to take it out of this “me against them.” You know, where in a relationship, sometimes we get in friction and it feels like our partner is an enemy. But instead, when friction comes up or when there are challenges, it’s us working towards this bigger vision. So instead of fighting with each other, there is something bigger that’s holding both of us and that we’re using as a compass.
Another reason I find it so important is that it helps us stay on track. You know, so often I’ve heard people say, you know, in the beginning of the relationship, everything was great and I had all these ideas of what our future was going to look like. And then two, three, five years down the line when I looked at the relationship, it just wasn’t the relationship I wanted. It wasn’t the relationship that I had envisioned. And oftentimes that leads people to break up or to divorce. So actually consciously talking with your partner about what is your shared relationship vision, it helps you stay on track. Because if you’re going through a certain stage in your life where you’re getting further and further away from that vision, you can bring it up and you can use that as an anchor to guide you again in the direction that you want to go and become much more intentional about co-creating this vision.
Relationships don’t just happen by themselves and oftentimes because of Disney and Hollywood and romance novels, there’s this idea that once we fall in love, that’s all we need. And then the rest will just magically figure itself out and you know, we’re going to have this fairy tale ending. But the truth is that relationships are created by two people coming together intentionally. And you want to make sure that you’re co-creating the relationship of your dreams and that you’re not just letting time go by and patterns take over and end up in a situation where both of you are unhappy.
How to Set Your Relationship Vision?
Setting a relationship vision is a thoughtful process that can significantly impact the course of your partnership. Here are some practical steps to help you and your partner establish a clear and meaningful relationship vision:
- Reflect on your values ─ Begin by individually reflecting on your core values and beliefs. What matters most to each of you in a relationship? This step allows you to identify common values and areas where you may differ.
- Open and honest communication ─ Schedule a dedicated time for a heartfelt conversation with your partner. Share your thoughts and feelings about the relationship. Discuss what you both envision for your shared journey.
- Define your “Why” ─ Explore the deeper reasons behind your relationship. Ask yourselves why you are in this partnership and what you aim to achieve together. This will serve as the foundation of your relationship vision.
- Set clear goals ─ Define specific goals and aspirations for your relationship. Consider short-term and long-term objectives. These goals can range from improving communication to planning for your future together.
- Create a vision statement ─ Craft a concise vision statement that encapsulates your shared aspirations and values. This statement should serve as a guiding light for your relationship, reminding you both of your collective purpose.
- Visualize your ideal relationship ─ Take time to visualize what your ideal relationship looks like in the day-to-day. Imagine the positive experiences, interactions, and emotions that you want to cultivate together.
- Write it down ─ Document your relationship vision in writing. This can be a letter to each other, a shared document, or a vision board. Having a tangible representation makes it more real and actionable.
- Regularly revisit and revise ─ Your relationship vision is not static; it can evolve over time. Schedule regular check-ins with your partner to revisit your vision, celebrate progress, and make adjustments as needed.
- Stay aligned ─ Use your relationship vision as a compass during challenging times. When disagreements or difficulties arise, remind yourselves of your shared purpose, and work together to stay aligned with your vision.
When it comes to crafting a vibrant relationship vision, consider the unique elements that resonate with you and your partner. Just as your relationship journey is distinct, exploring various avenues of connection adds layers of depth. Embrace the creativity that comes with envisioning your journey together.
As you delve into aspirations of shared growth and experiences, remember that even in the realm of intimacy, innovation can play a role. Embracing elements that ignite your passion and curiosity is key. Just as you’re intentional about the bigger picture of your relationship, you might also explore ways to enhance your intimate moments with your partner.
In this context, you might discover intriguing possibilities, such as the adventurous allure of fantasy dragon dildos, which can bring a touch of whimsy and excitement to your shared experiences.