Do you want to refresh the look of your bathroom without breaking the bank? Whether you’re looking for a subtle change or a total overhaul, there are plenty of creative ideas you can use to transform your bathroom.
Here are some top tips and tricks to get you started on your bathroom makeover journey.
Preparing for the Makeover
Preparing for a bathroom makeover requires careful thought, including determining the scope of the project, selecting materials and supplies, and setting a budget. Here are some steps that you should consider before starting the renovation:
- Create a renovation plan – Start by outlining the scope of work and timeline associated with your renovation. Once you have determined what needs to be done, it’s time to decide on a style and look.
- Set a budget – Establishing a realistic budget is essential when it comes to bathroom renovations. Think about your expectations for the project and determine how much you can actually afford to spend without overspending or dipping too far into savings.
- Research materials – Take time to research various materials that may be used for the project, including tile, plumbing fixtures, cabinetry, countertops, and flooring. Research your options so that you can find materials that offer quality without breaking your budget.
- Hire contractors – If needed, hire contractors for necessary tasks such as plumbing or electrical work that require specialized skill sets or licenses. Make sure to check references for any contractors prior to hiring them for the job.
Choosing Color Schemes
A fresh coat of paint and new décor can make a world of difference for your bathroom, but it’s important to choose a color scheme that fits with the existing style in your space. Think about the current elements in your bathroom, from the floor and windows to the tile, fixtures, and hardware. Once you’ve identified the main source of color inspiration in the room, such as a tile backsplash or window trim, selecting complementary shades that match this palette is simple.
Incorporating different textures can give your bathroom an even more put-together look. Start by picking one or two main colors and building from there with decorative touches of neutrals like warm ivories, grays, and charcoals. These will help you narrow down shades for furniture, towels, and other items designed to layer visual interest. Colorful accents are also great additions to enliven neutral bathrooms – think accent walls or art pieces you love!
Selecting Fixtures and Fittings
When it comes to bathroom accessories and fixtures, there are a wide variety of options to choose from. From vanities, toilets, and showerheads – to taps, towel bars, basins, toilet roll holders, and more – there’s no shortage of items you can use to freshen or completely rebuild your bathroom space. To help you make smart selections for your bathroom makeover project, here are some tips that should help guide your choices:
- Determine your needs for the bathroom. Your ideal dimensions will be a guide in selecting fixtures like the sink and bathtub since it varies in size. The same goes for toilets and showers which also vary depending on size and user preference.
- The style of bathroom you’d like to achieve should also prompt decisions when selecting accessories or fixtures so browse through catalogs or look online for ideas such as rustic, classic, or modern fittings that could work well with the overall aesthetic you’re aiming for.
- Consider practicality when selecting finishes of available restroom elements like light fittings and vanity mirrors which could benefit from easy-to-clean materials like glass or stainless steel that can withstand cleaning agents.
- Get an idea of the kinds of materials often used in bathrooms such as ceramic, metals, or wood since some surfaces may be better fitting for certain applications than others depending on how confident you feel about aftercare maintenance requirements.
Adding Wall Decor
Wallpaper is one of the most popular choices for bathrooms, both due to its classic style and its ability to withstand moisture. For a look that stands out choose a wallpaper with a unique texture or pattern. A geometric print, metallic accents, or traditional floral designs are all perfect for achieving an elegant look.
Artwork can also be used to add visual interest and personalize your bathroom space. When selecting wall art for your bathroom, consider the existing palette that you’ve chosen to ensure they match each other. Prints with bright colors will bring life whereas neutral backdrops may seem too bland. For an even bigger impact try making some of your own artwork such as fabric collages or even mosaics!
Utilizing Storage Solutions
When creating a bathroom makeover, you don’t have to limit yourself to fixtures and fittings. You can also try to add clever storage solutions that will make your bathroom look even better. Consider a few of these ideas when planning the desired aesthetic of your new space:
- Install towel hooks: Clip multiple towel hooks on the wall for an additional storage solution for adding towels in style.
- Add shelves: Shelves are great for displaying funny trinkets, plants, and soap containers – anything that brings life to the bathroom.
- Add a medicine cabinet: Medicine cabinets now come in stylish designs which can fit in with any contemporary look. Bonus points if they are detachable so you can easily clean them frequently.
- Invest in a vanity unit: A vanity unit gives you extra space to store all those items cluttered on counters, while also giving it an updated look. Additionally, it helps create purposeful cleanliness by hiding clutter from sight.
Once your primary renovation work is done, you can move on to the finishing touches. This is when the spaces really come together, and all of the various elements that you have chosen for your bathroom take shape. Try using accent touches such as artwork, mirrored tiles, a unique shower curtain or rugs, and bath mats to add your own personal style to the space.
If floor space allows for it, investing in a classy shelf tower can also go a long way when it comes to storage and style! You’ll want to use these pieces wisely, though – they should accent the overall design of your bathroom while still providing functionality where needed.
When it’s time to determine lighting options for your bathroom makeover, think beyond traditional overhead lighting and investigate task lighting or even heated mirror lights. Just remember that if any electrical wiring is involved, always consult a professional electrician! Finally, explore customizable storage solutions such as closet organizers so every inch of available space is used effectively.