The one quality of parking lot lighting many don’t notice is that no one gives it a thought as long as it is well-lit. The moment you find yourself in a dimly-lit parking lot, you find yourself complaining. Businesses who don’t plan proper parking lot illuminating should remember that the experience of their customers begins at the parking lot.
Most evenings, if your parking lot lighting is dim, there are high chances of people not stopping by. The good lit parking lot is functional, enhances the safety of the space, and improves aesthetics, thereby attracting the attention of customers. The parking lot is as important as your interiors. Select the right type of illumination for your parking lot.
LED lights for the parking lot
LEDs word great for outdoor fixtures. LED generates and distributes light differently than usual HID lamps. They radiated rays are evenly distributed due to the presence of multiple diodes. LED wins over all other light fixtures when it comes to energy savings and less maintenance.
There is a wide range of LED options available. If you are looking for high-quality LED options, then visit ledlightexpert.com. They are the leading LED bulbs manufacturers in the US with a huge customer base. They offer up to a 5-year warranty for their products, sold at affordable rates.
Why are LEDs ideal for parking lots?
- Cost: The initial costs may be higher, but LED bulbs last for about 10,000 hours. You’ll have to replace them anywhere between 5 years and 25 years, depending on the usage.
- Energy-saving: An important feature you have to look for in such products is its energy-efficiency. You can save a lot on your energy bills, and LED is 70% more energy-efficient than HID.
- Quality: There are no flicker or buzz problems with LED, which is referred to as Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). The low THD makes LED easy on the eyes.
- Looks great: These look great and give your space an appealing look.
- Easy maintenance: LED offers flexible options like dimming or brightening, depending on the natural illumination available. You don’t have to change the bulbs often. Generally, they function well for about 20 years.
- Maximum safety: Parking lots are found to be the third-most place of occurrence of crimes. A well-lit parking lot would deter criminal activities. Strategically placed LED fixtures to provide ample illumination.
Find out if you need to replace current lighting
If you are currently using different lights and want to upgrade it to LED, make sure the fixtures are compatible with LEDs. In many cases, you’ll need to make replacements like a new slip fitter bracket, arm, or trunnion. If you are wondering if it is worth the investment, make a rough calculation of the total savings.
A number of lights to be installed on a pole
It is recommended to have 2 to 4 LEDs to a pole depending on the level of illumination you wish for.
Spacing between lights: This depends on how high you position the lights. If you position them higher, you’ll need bigger fixtures, and spacing can be wider. At the same time, if you position it too high, there may be wind problems and less illumination on the ground.
How to choose LED lights for the parking lot?
Lumens: Watts stands only next in importance lumens, as the brightness of LED lights depends on the lumen value. Pay attention to the lumen value when purchasing LEDs.
For 250-watt metal halide choose 9000 to 12000 lumens
For 400-watt metal halide choose 14000 to 20000 lumens
For 1000-watt metal halide choose 36000 to 50000 lumens
Kelvin light: LEDs are available in various colors, including:
3000k – white warm color ideal for homes and restaurants
4000k – natural white, ideal for places of work
5000k – white, ideal for outdoors
5700k – bluish tint has potential environmental issues and used carefully generally in gas stations
Mounting options: Slip fitter mount is a popular adjustable mount type that is mounted on a bull horn. The trunnion is another flexible choice that bolts to an arm, wall, or a pole—straight arm mount bolts to straight and round poles. Check what kind of mounts are available in your space and see if you have to change them to suit the LEDs you’ve chosen.
Tips to make your parking lot more functional with LED lights
- Transition lighting: It takes a few seconds for our eyes to get accustomed to changes in illumination. When drivers enter a parking lot, they may find it initially difficult to traverse through the parking lot. Install these at the entrance, so that it’ll be easier for drivers to enter the parking lot.
- Color of entrance light: Generally, entrance/transition light fixtures are of higher colors, so that it matches with the natural lighting outside. Choosing high colors paves the way for a smooth transition.
- Pay attention to horizontal and vertical lighting: Vertical and horizontal LED fixtures are important in parking lots.
- Take care of blind spots in underground parking: Lighting underground parking spaces can be quite tricky. Underground spaces have more pipelines and other facilities creating shadows and blind spots. Place the LED fixtures strategically to make sure the entire place is well-lit.
- Added features for outdoor parking lots: When it comes to outdoor lighting, the fixtures would not be in use during the day. However, you should find durable ones like waterproof fixtures that can withstand different weather conditions.
- Install ambient lighting: A parking lot must look more inviting. The closed spaces can feel claustrophobic for some, and this can be avoided by using ambient lighting spread out throughout the parking lot.
- Fix visible signboards: The signs used in the parking lot must be clearly visible to the drivers. There shouldn’t be any glares as it could distract the drivers. Make sure you illuminate the signs the right way.
LEDs are the best choice for parking lots. Purchase LED fixtures from reputable manufacturers to ensure they are of good quality and last longer.