Eyesight problems have become more prominent these days. But you don’t need to suffer from them because various treatments are available. The two most essential ones are LASIK surgery and Refractive Lens Exchange. Both these methods provide effective results. However, people get confused between the two. It depends on your eye condition and other related things. The oculist will help you find the proper treatment. So, make sure to consult a professional.
LASIK surgery and refractive lens exchange are different from each other. It is crucial to understand each treatment in detail before selecting one. In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about these methods. So it will be easier for you to select without any hesitation.
The primary goal of these eye treatments is to correct the eyesight and remove the glasses. People who find it challenging to wear glasses all the time should always consider getting an eyesight correction treatment. Also, individuals who face many problems due to their weak eyesight can get the surgery done to avoid them in the future.
Let’s now discuss more information about LASIK surgery and refractive lens exchange.
What Is LASIK Surgery?
This method includes a laser method that helps correct the cornea of the eye leading to eyesight correction. The most common eye-related problems resolved with this surgery are farsightedness, astigmatism, and nearsightedness. It is the best solution for many refractive errors.
Before choosing this surgery, you should consult the oculist and decide. Sometimes, people make mistakes and later realize that the surgery is unsuccessful. Even though this treatment provides the best results, you must also know the cons. Here we have prepared a list of pros and cons you can consider before selecting this one.
Pros And Cons Of Lasik Surgery
- Quick eye treatment: The best thing about LASIK is that this method doesn’t take so long. The overall time duration of the surgery is only twenty minutes. You won’t get this benefit from other eye treatments. Laser surgeries usually take less time than others. So, it might be a perfect option for you.
- Get fast results: Eye correction treatment usually takes time for the final results. But if you consider LASIK, you will get the results in no time. It happens after 48 hours. Moreover, you won’t feel any severe pain after the surgery. But make sure to follow all the after-surgery tips. That is why people find it more convenient than other correction treatments.
- Don’t need to wear glasses: Once you are done with the surgery, you don’t need to wear glasses or lenses to correct your eyesight. The results are pretty effective and successful in almost all patients. Poor vision can create many problems in one’s life. It is always better to find permanent solutions like LASIK surgery to be stress-free.
- Improved vision: Another unique thing about this treatment is that it might help improve your vision. You won’t face any eyesight issues for a long time. Therefore, it is a successful and excellent method that everyone should get.
- Eligibility is the first thing: You have to fulfill some requirements before getting this surgery. That makes it less preferable for a wide range of people. People above 40 cannot get LASIK surgery because they have presbyopia. They have to look for other alternatives in this situation.
- Risks are involved: It might sound a bit strange, but laser surgeries come with various risks. Some patients have experienced dry eyes for a few months after the treatment. Another disturbing thing is seeing halos in the dark. Even though these risks are not severe, you should consider them before selecting this method.
- Flaps are prone to injury: During the LASIK, flaps are formed. But they are prone to damage in some situations. For instance, if a patient has a habit of rubbing their eyes, this treatment will not be successful. In short, the flaps will damage. They are an essential part of the entire treatment.
- Results are not permanent: One thing that many people don’t know is that the results after this method are not permanent. You might need another round of surgery to improve your vision.
What Is Refractive Lens Exchange?
It is a method in which the natural lens gets replaced with an artificial one. This treatment is popular among people above 40 because they are not eligible for LASIK. However, other people consider the same when they don’t have any other better option left.
Cataract surgery works similarly to this treatment. It means that it is an entirely safe and successful method. Let’s look at the pros and cons.
Pros And Cons Of Refractive Lens Exchange
- Permanent solution: This treatment provides permanent results. So you don’t have to worry about getting another treatment done after some time.
- Remove glasses and contact lenses: If you cannot manage wearing glasses for a long time, you should go for this treatment. After that, you won’t need to wear any lenses or glasses. Your vision will be corrected after some time.
- Short recovery time: Many people get worried about the recovery time after surgery. You can trust the refractive lens exchange because it has a short recovery period.
- No cataracts in the future: You can also benefit from not getting cataracts in old age. The lenses work effectively in preventing these problems.
- Not suitable for every condition: Eye conditions are of different types. This procedure is not suitable for some people. It is crucial to get advice from an oculist regarding the same.
- Various risks are present: Refractive lens exchange procedure is riskier than others because it involves replacing the natural lens. Some people have faced many issues due to this surgery.
- Expensive: If you have a tight budget, this option will not be suitable. It costs a little more than other methods.
The Bottom Line
We hope you can easily choose a perfect option from the above two eye treatments. It is essential to consider all the pros and cons before deciding on any particular one.