If you, like most of us, have been through quite a few toasters in your time, I am sure you are looking for a make and model that you can trust with a couple of handy features that just make breakfast mornings that little bit easier.
But with a bunch of toaster models on the market that burns your toast, take most of the morning to heat up and are difficult to clean, how can you be sure which model is the right one for you?
If you, like most homeowners are fed up having to put up with the sound of the kitchen smoke alarm going off when toasting a simple pitta bread or have frantically shaken the toaster upside down over the trash can for the very last time, then it sounds like you need a new toaster. But before you choose your next model, make sure you take a look at the tips listed in this article that will explain what you should look out for when purchasing.
Are you ready to choose a toaster that will stand the test of time? Then stay tuned!
One important factor to consider when purchasing your toaster is the size of the unit. If you have plenty of kitchen countertop space, then you may want to opt for a larger model as they will allow you to toast more slices at once and larger toasters also often come with more options.
For large families that love toast breakfasts, you may want to consider purchasing a toaster that comes with 4 toast slots or more. Bigger toaster units often come with dual controls, so that two people can use the toaster at once with different browning settings.
Small units are perfect for those with limited kitchen countertop space and for those who are looking to declutter. If you are a couple or live alone, you may also wish to consider purchasing a toaster with just one or two toast slots.
Once you have decided how large you would like your toaster, you should then consider which settings are important to find in your next toaster unit.
The following is a list of the most sought-after toaster features that make toasting your favorite sandwich or artisan bread a simple task. Take a look at it below.
- Reheat. Every toaster should come with a reheat button. Reheating is a great option for bringing life back to your cold toast without browning it further and causing it to burn. Never worry about cold toast again!
- Defrost. If you are a bulk buyer like me, you may have a loaf or two of sandwich bread in the freezer ready for a rainy day. With the defrost button, you will be able to toast your bread from frozen without having to keep an eye on the browning. Simply leave the toaster to it!
- Stay warm. Similar to the reheat setting, a stay warm button will keep your toast warm for a few additional minutes after it has reached optimal browning. This option is ideal for those who are busy doing a couple of jobs around the kitchen and are not quite ready to sit down and enjoy breakfast. This is a great feature, but not many toasters have it, so should you come across a toaster with a stay warm feature, you know you have struck gold!
- Bagel. Most toasters should come with a bagel option that will heat your bread on one side. You can also use this setting to heat burger buns making a toaster the perfect helper for the next family barbecue – get the patties on the grill!
Find even more recommendations on this website.
Do you have young children at home? Then I am sure you will be interested in purchasing a toaster with all of the latest safety features that will help to keep your children safe around the kitchen.
- Cool-touch exterior. One of the most essential features of a family toaster is a cool touch exterior. With this feature, you will not need to worry about your children (or anyone else for that matter) brushing against a hot toaster while it is in operation and burning themselves as the exterior will not heat up. Unfortunately, there are not many toasters on the market with this feature and they tend to be a little more pricey, but I think it is definitely worth investing in such a toaster to keep your family safe.
- Lift and look. Another great feature that will keep your family safe is a lift and look lever that will give you the freedom to have a look at your toast and see how well it is browning without interrupting the cycle. This stops the temptation of putting things into the toaster to take a look at the bread which, of course, is extremely dangerous.
One of the most frustrating things about a toaster can be how difficult they are to clean. The next time you choose a toaster, make sure it comes with the following easy-clean features.
- Crumb tray. A crumb tray helps all of the bits of bread to collect in one place inside the toaster. The crumb tray is easy to slide out and remove and then empty into the trash. Make sure you purchase a toaster with a removable crumb tray as it will keep you from burning bread crumbs and will help you to keep the unit cleaner for longer.
- Dustproof cover. It is easy for a toaster to look dirty because of its reflective surfaces that hold onto fingerprints. That is why a toaster with a dustproof exterior that cleans fingerprints easily will be a savvy purchase. Toasters like this will remain cleaner for longer and are quick to wipe clean when they do get dirty.
- Non-stick interior. Look out for a toaster with a non-stick interior as they do not hold on crumbs as easily and are faster to clean.