A Virtual Private Network or VPN is a useful technology for changing your IP address and that encrypts all of your Internet traffic. This can improve your online security and privacy, as well as help you bypass online censorship that is imposed by the government, ISPs, or other people or organizations blocking specific websites. In this article, you will be able to learn how VPNs work, as well as the benefits of using one. Let’s take a closer look:
How to Use a VPN?
According to the experts from myvpnhound.com, the mechanics of using a VPN is quite simple and no matter what platform you use should look like something like this:
- Sign-up for a VPN plan
- Download and install the necessary software. VPN programs on desktop computers are usually referred to as VPN clients while the programs on mobile devices are called VPN applications. Basically, they are the same thing.
- Run the application or program.
- Sign in to the app or client with the login details you used when you bought the subscription.
- Most VPN application features a “connect” button. All you have to do is click on it to connect to a VPN server that is close. This will provide the fastest VPN connection available and if you want to use it in a different country, some VPNs might feature a map where you can select a country that you want to connect to.
How Does a VPN Work?
When you download, install, and run a VPN application, it will connect to a server run by the VPN provider. All the data that goes in and out of your device will be securely encrypted and routed through the VPN tunnel. Hence, the VPN server acts as a gateway between the Internet and you. It prevents your ISP from seeing what you are doing on the Internet and it also prevents the websites on the Internet to see who you are.
The Benefits of Using a VPN
- It Prevents your ISP (Internet Provider) from Seeing What You Are Doing Online
This makes it quite good at preventing government surveillance performed by the NSA. Additionally, websites cannot see your real IP address or how your ISP is. All they will be able to see is the address of the VPN server which is commonly shared by a lot of VPN users to further protect each other.
- It Battles Censorship
A VPN will allow you to bypass censorship, either by a repressive regime or an office or college Wi-Fi administrator. By using VPN you can gain access to websites that are blocked simply by connecting a VPN server located at another location where the online content is not censored.
- Protect You From Hackers
How do you know that the Wi-Fi at your local cafe is secure? The answer – you do not know. This goes for any public Wi-Fi and using insecure Wi-Fi is an invitation for hackers to steal your sensitive information. A VPN can protect you when using any public Wi-Fi connection since your data will be encrypted.
As you can see it is easy to start using a VPN service and you will also be able to gain a lot of benefits from it, including accessing restricted websites and protecting your data.